Monday 1 August 2011

Do cats exhibit Buddha nature ?

Some say cats exhibit Buddha nature – they live in the moment - not the past or the future for them. What they think the most - they probably become – they are certainly deserving of their own love and affection. However they live by violence as an inbuilt means to survive and they lack the wanderlust ability to leave their human ‘owner’ and seek truth – preferring the warm hearth and lap of domesticated civilisation – PERHAPS THIS IS THE TRUTH ? Also as they have problems reading I don’t expect any feline comments on this entry to contradict my half –hearted assertion. Any way this was just an excuse to include a photo of a cat and a Buddha and remind us of a cat and a beautiful kitten I encountered in a Buddhist temple in Thailand earlier this year.

"Of all animals, he alone attains the Contemplative Life. He regards the wheel of existence from without, like the Buddha. There is no pretense of sympathy about the cat. He lives alone, aloft, sublime, in a wise passiveness." Andrew Lang





From a large feature wall piece to a small serene stone Buddha for that corner in your garden, it’s all here.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I did have a cat that wandered off and found a new home. He was missing for weeks and then he came back. I was so happy to see him. He loved me and snuggled me for a long time, and then he wanted to go out again. At first I wouldn't let him out, because I didn't want him to disappear again, but he was so frantic to get out that I let him go. I never saw him again, and I was heartbroken, but several months later, I realized that he had come back to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete